Bríd Ní Ghráinne Non-Resident Fellow
Bríd Ní Ghráinne is a Non-Resident Fellow at Centre for International Law. She studied Public International Law and University of Oxford (DPhil) and Public International Law at Leiden University (LL.M). She is also an Associate Professor at Maynooth University, Ireland; a Senior Researcher at the Judicial Studies Institute, Masaryk University; a Senior Research Affiliate and Lecturer at the Refugee Law Initiative at University of London; and a Visiting Research Fellow at University of Reading. She regularly appears in both English and Irish-language media as a commentator in her areas of expertise and has acted as a consultant for the United Nations, the Council of Europe, Greenpeace, and Oxford Analytica. Previously, she was a Lecturer at the University of Sheffield (2014-2018) where she won two of the University’s top teaching awards. She has also worked in the Legal Division of the Irish Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (2010-2011) and taught at the Universities of Helsinki (2015), Cyprus (2016), Oxford (2012-2013), and Shandong University China (2015-2017). Her research interests include public international law, internally displaced persons, refugees, human rights law, and humanitarian law.
- Ní Ghráinne, Bríd. 2021. Internally Displaced Persons and International Refugee Law. Oxford University Press.
- Ní Ghráinne, Bríd. "Internal Protection Alternative." In Costello, Cathryn; Foster, Michelle; McAdam, Jane (eds.). Oxford Handbook on International Refugee Law.Oxford University Press.
- Ní Ghráinne, Bríd. "Teaching Refugee Law with Moot Courts." In Grimes, R.; Honousková, V.; Stege, U. (eds.). Learning and Teaching the Law Affecting Migrants: Theory and Practice.
- Ní Ghráinne, Bríd; Kosar, D. "State Responsibility." In Polčák, R. (ed.). Casebook on Cybersecurity.Brno: Masaryk University Press.
- Ní Ghráinne, Bríd; Kosar, D. "Due Diligence" In Polčák, R. (ed.). Casebook on Cybersecurity. Brno: Masaryk University Press.
- Ní Ghráinne, Bríd. "Internally Displaced Persons and International Refugee Law" In Satvinder, Juss (ed.). Elgar Research Handbook on Refugee Law.
- Ní Ghráinne, Bríd. "The 2015 Andaman Sea Boat ‘Crisis’: Human Rights and Refugee Law Considerations" In Benedek, Wolfgang; Salomon, Stafan (eds.). Blurring Boundaries: Human Security and Migration.
- Ní Ghráinne, Bríd. 2021. Complementary Protection and Encampment. Human Rights Law Review. Vol. 21, issue 1, 54–79. (Link)
- Ní Ghráinne, Bríd. 2020. Safe Zones and the Internal Protection Alternative. International and Comparative Law Quarterly. Vol. 69, issue 2, 335.
- Ní Ghráinne, Bríd; McMahon, A. 2019. After the 8th: Ireland, Abortion and International Law. Medico-Legal Journal of Ireland. Vol. 25, issue 1, 22.
- Ní Ghráinne, Bríd; McMahon, A. 2019. Access to Abortion in Cases of Fatal Fetal Abnormality: A New Direction for the European Court of Human Rights?. Human Rights Law Review. Vol. 19, issue 2, 561.
- Ní Ghráinne, Bríd; McMahon, A. 2019. Abortion in Northern Ireland and the ECtHR: Reflections from the UK Supreme Court. International and Comparative Law Quarterly. Vol. 68, issue 2, 477.
- Ní Ghráinne, Bríd; McMahon, A. 2017. A Public International Law Approach to Safeguard Nationality for Surrogate Born Children. Legal Studies. Vol. 37, issue 2, 324. (nominated for Best Paper Prize, Society of Legal Scholars 2016).
- Ní Ghráinne, Bríd. 2015. Left to Die at Sea: State Responsibility for the May 2015 Thai, Indonesian and Malaysian Pushback Operations. Irish Yearbook of International Law. Vol. 10.
- Ní Ghráinne, Bríd. 2015. Internally Displaced Persons. Max Planck Encyclopedia of Public International Law. (Runner–Up in ‘Best New Articles Competition’)
- Ní Ghráinne, Bríd. 2015. The “Internal Protection Alternative” and Human Rights Considerations – Irrelevant or Indispensable?. International Journal of Refugee Law. Vol. 27, issue 1, 29.
- Ní Ghráinne, Bríd. 2015. Internally Displaced Persons. Max Planck Encyclopedia of Public International Law. (runner-up in Best New Articles competition 2015).
- Ní Ghráinne, Bríd. 2014. The UNHCR and Internally Displaced Persons – Protection for Precluding Application of the Refugee Convention?. International Journal of Refugee Law. Vol. 26, issue 4, 536.
- 2018: Safe Zones in International Law. Operational Programme Research, Development and Education Project 'Postdoc@MUNI' (No. CZ.02.2.69/0.0/0.0/16_027/0008360).
- 2017: Migration Research Group Workshop Grant, University of Sheffield.
- 2016: Migration Research Group Workshop Grant, University of Sheffield.
- 2016: Erasmus+ Teaching Mobility Grant (to teach at University of Cyprus).
- 2015: Erasmus+ Teaching Mobility Grant (to teach at University of Helsinki).
- 2013: Peter Birks Scholarship, University of Oxford.
- 2011: National University of Ireland, Travelling Studentship.
- 2011–2013: 3 x Graduate Assistance Awards, University of Oxford.
- 2011: Freshfields, Bruckhaus, Deringer Scholarship, University of Oxford.
- 2011: Refugee Law Initiative. University of London Scholarship for Short Course on the Protection of Refugees and Displaced Persons.
- 2005–2009: Government of Ireland Irish Language Undergraduate Scholarship.
- 2005: National University of Ireland Entrance Scholarship.