Asya Metodieva Researcher
Asya Metodieva is a researcher at Centre for European Politics. She obtained her Ph.D. from the Central European University, Austria. Her dissertation focused on the recruitment of foreign terrorist fighters (FTFs) from the Balkans to Syria and Iraq. Asya’s research focus is on the mobilisation of radical movements and the role of social networks in radicalisation. Her broader research interests include terrorism and other forms of political violence, polarisation and radicalisation activities, and content moderation. Her research is particularly focused on the Western Balkans and Southeastern Europe more generally. She worked as a teaching assistant for courses on Terrorism and Counter-Terrorism, Social Media and Democracy, Comparative Political Research, and Public Administration. Asya was a Visegrad Insight Fellow in 2021. In 2019 she was a visiting PhD Candidate at the University of Oxford. She held the 2018 Sotirov Fellowship at LSE IDEAS and 2018 Re-think CEE Fellowship of the German Marshall Fund of the United States.
- Metodieva, Asya; Zeller, Michael C. 2023. Influences of Islamist Radicalization: A Configurational Analysis of Balkan Foreign Fighters in Syria. Studies in Conflict and Terrorism. Published online: 24 May 2023. (Link)
- Metodieva, Asya. 2021. The Radical Milieu and Radical Influencers of Bosnian Foreign Fighters. Studies in Conflict & Terrorism. (Link)
- 2023-2025: Digital Sovereignty and Central Europe, GAČR. (Link)
- 2022 - 2023: Diasporas and Terrorist Recruitment, Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports. (Link)
- 2022 – 2023: WTZ Grant for Scientific & Technological Cooperation Austria and Czech Republic
2021 – 2022: Preparing national table-top exercises on countering the use off the Internet for terrorist purposes in the Western Balkans, Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OCSE)
2021: NATO Public Diplomacy Grant Visegrad Insight Fellowship 2020
2021: Think Visegrad – V4 Think Tank Fellowship
2020 – 2021: Visegrad Insight Fellowship 2020
- 2019: Doctoral Research Support Grant from Central European University, Visiting PhD Candidate at the University of Oxford, UK.
- 2019: Field and Archival Research Grant, from Central European University.
- 2018 – 2019: The German Marshall Fund of the US, a Visiting Fellow at The Balkan Trust for Democracy, Serbia. Re-think CEE Fellowship.
- 2018: Mladena and Dianko Sotirov Visiting Fellowship London School of Economics IDEAS, UK.