Pelin Ayan Musil Senior Researcher
Pelin Musil is a senior researcher in the Centre for the Study of Global Regions and is a member of its Middle East and African Politics Unit. She studied Political Science at Bilkent University, Ankara, Turkey (Ph.D.) and at Central European University in Budapest, Hungary (M.A.). She is also a senior lecturer at the School of International Relations and Diplomacy at Anglo-American University (AAU) in Prague. Her research interests include democratization and regimes change, political parties and their systems, social movements, ethnic and religious politics with a focus on contemporary Turkey and the Middle East. She has been a visiting Fulbright researcher at Georgetown University (2007-8) and a short-term visiting scholar at Stanford University (2019).
- Musil, Pelin Ayan. 2022. The Transformation of Kurdish and Islamist Parties in Turkey: Consequences for Regime Change. Cham: Palgrave Macmillan. (Link)
- Sayari, Sabri; Musil, Pelin Ayan; Demirkol, Özhan. 2018. Party Politics in Turkey: A Comparative Perspective. London: Routledge. (Link)
- Musil, Pelin Ayan. 2011. Authoritarian party structures and democratic political setting in Turkey. New York: Palgrave Macmillan. (Link)
- Ayan Musil, Pelin. 2022. "The Rise and Fall of Moderate Islamism as a Political Project: The Legacy of 9/11 in Turkey's Relations with the West". In Lutfi, Ameem; Schwartz, L. Kevin (eds.). Legacies of 9/11 and the Global War on Terror: Volume 1. Prague: Oriental Institute, Czech Academy of Sciences. (Link)
- Ayan Musil, Pelin; Demirkol, Özhan. 2018. “Introduction”. In Sabri, Sayari; Ayan Musil, Pelin; Demirkol, Özhan (eds.). Party Politics in Turkey: A Comparative Perspective. London: Routledge, 1-9. (Link)
- Ayan Musil, Pelin. 2018. “Assessing the Level of Party Cartelization in Contemporary Turkey”. In Sabri, Sayari; Ayan Musil, Pelin; Demirkol, Özhan (eds.). Party Politics in Turkey: A Comparative Perspective. London: Routledge, 80-97. (Link)
- Ayan Musil, Pelin. 2015. “Nationalist Action Party: Ideology, Organization and Current Discourse”. In Bekaroglu, Edip Asaf (ed.). Parties and Campaigning during the 7-June-2015 Elections in Turkey. Istanbul: Vadi Press, 159-186. (in Turkish) (Link)
- Ayan Musil, Pelin. 2013. “Government Systems: Presidential and Parliamentary Systems”. In Sabri Sayari; Bilgin, Hasret Dikici (eds.). Comparative Politics. Istanbul: Istanbul Bilgi University Press, 189-208. (in Turkish) (Link)
- Ayan Musil, Pelin. 2021. Revisiting the Concept of Moderation in the Age of Populism: The AKP Case of Turkey. Middle East Law and Governance. 1–27. (Link)
- Anisin, Alexei; Ayan Musil, Pelin. 2021. Resistance and Military Defection in Turkey. Mediterranean Politics. 1-25. (Link)
- Ayan Musil, Pelin; Maze, Jacob. 2021. Pro-Rebel Party Behavior during Civil Wars: The Case of the Pro-Kurdish Parties in Turkey. Civil Wars. Vol. 23, issue 1, 25-26. (Link)
- Anisin, Alexei; Ayan Musil, Pelin. 2021. Protester-police fraternization in the 2013 Gezi Park uprisings. Social Movement Studies. Vol. 21, issue 4, 395-412. (Link)
- Ayan Musil, Pelin; Vašenda, Jan. 2020. Party regulation in Turkey: a comparison with modern Europe. Turkish Studies. Vol. 21, issue 1, 83-107. (Link)
- Ayan Musil, Pelin; Bilgin, Hasret Dikici. 2016. Types of outcomes in factional rivalries: Lessons from non-democratic parties in Turkey. International Political Science Review. Vol. 37, issue 2, 66-183. (Link)
- Ayan Musil, Pelin. 2015. Emergence of a dominant party system after multipartism: Theoretical implications from the case of the AKP in Turkey. South European Society and Politics. Vol. 20, issue 1, 71-92. (Link)
- Ayan Musil, Pelin. 2015. Czech Public Opinion on Turkey's Accession to the EU: An Analysis through the Lenses of Sociological and Discursive Institutionalism. New Perspectives. Vol. 23, issue 1, 71-95. (Link)
- Ayan Musil, Pelin. 2015. Epistemological Diversity in Social Science Graduate Curriculum: The Experience from an American College in Czech Republic. Beytulhikme An International Journal of Philosophy. Vol. 5, issue 1, 47-57. (Link)
- Ayan Musil, Pelin. 2014. Does Antagonism Precede Agonism in Challenging Neoliberalism? The Gezi Resistance in Turkey. Acta Politologica. Vol. 6, issue 3, 326- 342. (Link)
- Fehim Kennedy, Nilgün; Şenses, Nazli; Ayan Musil, Pelin. 2011. Grasping the social through movies. Teaching in Higher Education. Vol. 16, issue 1, 1-14. (Link)
- Ayan Musil, Pelin. 2010. Authoritarian Party Structures in Turkey: A Comparison of the Republican People's Party and the Justice and Development Party. Turkish Studies. Vol. 11 issue 2, 197-215. (Link)
- 2023 - 2026: Horizon Europe: Towards a new era of representative democracy - Activating European citizens’ trust in times of crises and polarization (ActEU). (Link)
- 2019 - 2021: Democratic Recessions In the Post-Communist and Muslim World: An Institutional Approach, funded by the Czech Science. Foundation - GAČR, Principal Investigator.
- 2018 - 2019: Transformation of Islamist Parties: Evidence from Turkey. Czech Science Foundation – GAČR, Principal Investigator.
- 2012 - 2013: Public Portrayal of Turkey in Visegrad Countries. International Visegrad Fund, Principal Investigator.
- 2013 - 2015: Theoretical implications of an emerging dominant party system in Turkey; Comparing factional conflicts in Turkish political parties; Party regulation in Turkey: a comparison with modern Europe. Internal Grants, provided by Anglo-American University.
- 2006 - 2007: Local Party Activists and Party Organizations in Turkey. Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey – TÜBİTAK, Junior Researcher.