Linda Monsees Senior Researcher
Linda Monsees is a senior researcher at the Center for Governance of Emerging Technologies. She joined IIR in May 2021 after working at Ecole Normale Supérieure Paris, Queen Mary University of London and Goethe University Frankfurt. Linda received her PhD at the Bremen International Graduate School of Social Sciences with a thesis on the politics of digital encryption (2017) and has taught in Reims, Frankfurt, Bremen and Erfurt. Her expertise lies in the study of international security and how digital technologies impact on security practices but also on wider society. Linda has worked on disinformation, surveillance and digital security. At the moment, she focuses on European cybersecurity and how to conceptualise cyber security from a critical perspective.
- Monsees, Linda (2019) Crypto-Politics: Encryption and Democratic Practices in the Digital Era. Routledge.
- Lindskov Jacobsen, Katja and Linda Monsees (2019) The Co-Production of Agency. In: Hoijtink, Marijn and Matthias Leese. eds. Technology and Agency in International Relations. Routledge, p 24-41.
- Monsees, Linda and Ole Wæver (2019) Theory is Technology - Ole Wæver in conversation with Linda Monsees. In: Acuto, Michele, Madeline Carr and Carolin Kaltofen. eds. Technologies of International Relations. Palgrave Macmillan, p13-23.
- Monsees, Linda (2021) Information disorder, fake news and the future of democracy, Globalizations, DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/14747731.2021.1927470
- Bellanova, Rocco, Katja Lindskov Jacobsen, and Linda Monsees (2020) Taking the Trouble: Science, Technology and Security Studies’. Critical Studies on Security 8 (2): 87–100.
- Monsees, Linda (2020) 'A war against truth'-Understanding the fake news controversy. Critical Studies on Security 8 (2):116-129. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/21624887.2020.1763708
- Monsees, Linda (2020) Cryptoparties: empowerment in internet security? Internet Policy Review (4) n.pgn. DOI: https://doi.org/10.14763/2020.4.1508
- Monsees, Linda (2019) Public relations: Theorizing the contestation of security technology. Security Dialogue 50(6): 531–546.
- Monsees, Linda (2018) Uncertainty and Risk in the Discourse on Encryption. Mediatization Studies 2(1),125-138.