Linda Monsees Senior Researcher
Linda Monsees is a researcher at the Center for Governance of Emerging Technologies. She joined IIR in May 2021 after working at Ecole Normale Supérieure Paris, Queen Mary University of London and Goethe University Frankfurt. Linda received her PhD at the Bremen International Graduate School of Social Sciences with a thesis on the politics of digital encryption (2017) and has taught in Reims, Frankfurt, Bremen and Erfurt. Her expertise lies in the study of international security and how digital technologies impact on security practices but also on wider society. Linda has worked on disinformation, surveillance and digital security. At the moment, she conducts research about the idea of digital sovereignty, the politics of semiconductors and broader questions about the role of private companies in this field.
- Monsees, Linda. 2019. Crypto-Politics: Encryption and Democratic Practices in the Digital Era. Routledge.
- Monsees, Linda. 2022. “Technik, Digitalisierung und internationale Politik”. In Sauber, Frank; Von Hauff, Luba; Masala, Carlo (eds.). Handbuch Internationale Beziehungen. Wiesbaden: VS Verlag für Sozialwissenschaften. 1-22. (Link)
- Jacobsen, Lindskov; Monsees, Katja; Monsees, Linda. 2019. "The Co-Production of Agency." In Hoijtink, Marijn; Leese, Matthias (eds.). Technology and Agency in International Relations. Routledge. 24-41.
- Monsees, Linda; Wæver, Ole. 2019. "Theory is Technology - Ole Wæver in conversation with Linda Monsees." In Acuto, Michele; Carr, Madeline; Kaltofen, Carolin (eds.). Technologies of International Relations. Palgrave Macmillan. 13-23.
- Monsees, Linda; Lambach, Daniel. 2022. Digital sovereignty, geopolitical imaginaries, and the reproduction of European identity. European Security. Vol. 31, issue 3, 377-394. (Link)
- Monsees, Linda. 2021. Crypto Parties and the Creation of Anonymity and Privacy. Hamburger Journal für Kulturanthropologie. Vol 1, issue 3. (Link)
- Monsees, Linda. 2021. Information disorder, fake news and the future of democracy. Globalizations. Vol. 20, issue 1, 153-168. (Link)
- Rocco, Bellanova; Jacobsen, Katja Lindskov; Monsees, Linda. 2020. Taking the Trouble: Science, Technology and Security Studies’. Critical Studies on Security. Vol. 8, issue 2. 87–100.
- Monsees, Linda. 2020. 'A war against truth'-Understanding the fake news controversy. Critical Studies on Security. Vol. 8, issue 2, 116-129. (Link)
- Monsees, Linda. 2020. Cryptoparties: empowerment in internet security? Internet Policy Review. Vol. 4. (Link)
- Monsees, Linda. 2019. Public relations: Theorizing the contestation of security technology. Security Dialogue. Vol. 50, issue 6. 531–546.
- Monsees, Linda. 2018. Uncertainty and Risk in the Discourse on Encryption. Mediatization Studies Vol. 2, issue 1, 125-138.