Central Europe – Africa Relations: Drivers and Prospects for Deepening Engagement
IIR in cooperation with Chatham House held a conference focused on relations between Central Europe and Africa yesterday at the IIR in Prague.
The ties between countries in sub-Saharan Africa and central Europe were far more active during the Cold War supported by strong political, economic and ideological bonds. The fall of the Soviet bloc pushed many CEE countries into a complex and delicate transition process that shifted their attention from engagements with Africa. More than 25 years later, the interest of CEE governments in re- building relations with African countries is increasing and the similarities in transition objectives and experiences provide additional opportunities for more substantive relations.
At this private roundtable, participants will discuss the political, economic and security drivers of this renewed engagement, as well as examine and identify shared learning experiences between the two regions that can further enhance cooperation.
14:00 – 14:10 Welcome and project introduction
- Petr Kratochvíl, Director, Senior Researcher, Institute of International Relations Prague
- Stefan Cibian, Academy Fellow, Africa Programme, Chatham House
14:10 – 15:30 Session 1: Drivers of Central Europe- Africa relations: political, economic, security engagements
- HE Ajay K. Bramdeo, Permanent Representative of the African Union, Permanent Mission to the European Union (EU) and African, Caribbean and Pacific (ACP) States
- Professor Silviu Rogobete, Professor, Department of Politics, West University of Timisoara
- David Valente, Director, Expandglobe
- Chair: Bob Dewar, Associate Fellow, Africa Programme, Chatham House
15:30 – 15:45 Coffee break
15:45 – 17:00 Session 2: Transition, institutions and cooperation: identifying shared experiences and interests
- Gebreselassie Haile, Minister Counsellor, Embassy of the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia, Berlin
- Rufin Zamfir, Programmes Director, GlobalFocus Centre
- Ondřej Horký-Hlucháň, Deputy Director for Research, Senior Researcher, Institute of International Relations Prague
- Chair: Elizabeth Donnelly, Deputy Head and Research Fellow, Africa Programme, Chatham House
- Elizabeth Donnelly, Deputy Head and Research Fellow, Africa Programme, Chatham House