Promoting Equal and Inclusive Representation of Women in Decision-Making Systems: A Holistic Approach to Economic Empowerment
Together with GQUAL and the World Trade Institute, we would like to invite you to a conference on the topic of "Promoting Equal and Inclusive Representation of Women in Decision-Making Systems: A Holistic Approach to Economic Empowerment."
23. 2. 2024 (13:30)
Jazyk: English ZOOM + Silva Casa Auditorium, World Trade Institute, Switzerland
The Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women (CEDAW) has been at the forefront of advancing gender equality and women's rights globally. At its 84th session in Geneva, scheduled from 6 to 24 February 2023, the CEDAW Committee took a significant step forward by initiating a half-day general discussion on "Equal and Inclusive Representation of Women in Decision-Making Systems." This session marked the commencement of drafting a new General Recommendation (GR 40), aimed at offering comprehensive guidance to States parties on achieving equal and inclusive representation of women in decision-making systems.
The upcoming General Recommendation seeks to build upon and complement General Recommendation No. 23 (1997), addressing the current implementation of Articles 7 and 8 of the CEDAW Convention while also identifying regulatory gaps at national and international levels. Integral to this effort is the acknowledgment of the pivotal role played by economic context in shaping women's participation and representation in decision-making processes.
The conference will assemble:
- Representatives from the UN CEDAW Committee;
- Academics and researchers specializing in diverse facets of gender and economics, responsible for advancing gender equality and women's empowerment;
- Representatives from international organizations dedicated to women's rights and empowerment;
- Policy analysts specializing in trade, finance, and investment;
- Legal experts with a focus on gender equality and human rights;
- Representatives from the private sector committed to fostering gender-inclusive practices
The conference is organized with the support of the Gender in the Mirror (GEM), SNF funded project, and of the Horizon Europe HRJust project.
The conference is co-organized by GQUAL, the University of Bern, and the World Trade Institute.